Save on Your Energy Bill
Here are some tips from the Department of Energy to cut down on your energy bill:
* Install a sweet to the inside bottom edge of your front door to eliminate drafts, and if you have a door that goes into an attached garage, install a sweep on that door too. Add weatherstripping to any sliding glass doors.
* To reduce the amount of heat lost up the chimney when a fire isn’t burning, install a tight-fitting glass door unit over the fireplace opening. Close the fireplace damper when the fireplace is not in use.
* Install foam gaskets behind drafty switch and receptacle cover plates. View the ones we installed in our house here
* Weatherstrip around the attic door or access hatch.
* Using silicone caulk, caulk around the outside of the window frames and weatherstrip between the sash. These are the easiest and least expensive options to stop air infiltration. Better yet, replace single-glzed (single-pane) windows with double- or triple-glazed windows, which are up to five times as efficient.
* Arrange your furniture so it doesn’t obstruct heat registers. For places you can’t leave open, add scoop-shaped heat deflectors to the tops of registers to force air from under furniture and into the room. Partially or completely close register dampers in rooms that are seldom used.